Denver County Court

Filing With the Court

The Civil Division of the Denver County Court handles cases per §13-6-101 C.R.S. et. seq. The Denver County Court has jurisdiction in civil actions, suits and proceedings in which the debt, damage or value of the personal property involved does NOT exceed TWENTY-FIVE thousand dollars ($25,000.00). Examples of the types of cases heard in County Court are those involving money, evictions, name changes, replevins and foreign judgments.

You may file in Denver County if the transaction occurred or the Defendant lives in Denver.

This section explains

  • Different case types, and
  • Steps for filing with the Court



These instructions are for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice about your case. If you choose to represent yourself, you are bound by the same rules and procedures as an attorney.


If you or a witness requires a language interpreter to be present for hearings, you may request an interpreter online or contact the Clerk’s Office in Room 135 of the City and County Building by calling 720-865-7840. Please make your request for an interpreter as far in advance as possible. If you have language needs other than Spanish, we will not be able to obtain an interpreter if you wait until the day of your appearance. A language interpreter may only interpret what is said between parties during a hearing and immediately prior to or after the hearing. A language interpreter may not provide legal advice or any other service that is not related to interpreting. Interpreters may not provide any services that may constitute a violation of the language interpreter’s Code of Professional Responsibility    .


Mediation can be an effective way to resolve your dispute. In mediation, a neutral third party works with the parties in a confidential setting to help them negotiate a mutually acceptable agreement. You may choose mediation to resolve your case without going to trial. Private mediators can be found in the Yellow Pages or may be available on the day of your court hearing. In many instances, mediation is required by the Court before proceeding to trial. You should bring any legal or financial documents and any other information relating to the dispute with you to the mediation.

If you are the defendant do not disregard the Complaint. A judgment could be entered against you, and the other party could start collection procedures.

If you are the plaintiff do not disregard an answer or counterclaim. A judgment could be entered against you, and the other party could start collection procedures.

Representation by an attorney may be required for Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Closely Held Entities, etc. Please see §13-1-127, C.R.S.

The Court cannot collect your judgment for you.

Back to top