Denver County Court

Civil and Small Claims Cases

If you are a party in a civil or small claims case, and you wish to compel the attendance of a witness or require the witness to bring documents or other evidence to a hearing or trial, you must follow the following steps:

1) Each witness must be served a Subpoena   , so prepare as many as necessary. When requesting a witness to bring certain items of evidence, be specific and clear when identifying the items.

2) You will need two copies in order to complete personal service. You can make your own copies or the court can make the copies and charge you $.25 for each copy.

3) Prepare a mileage check for each witness. Pursuant to 13-33-103, C.R.S., mileage shall be compensated for each witness. The current in-state rate is $.46 per mile. Pursuant to 16-9-203, C.R.S., the out-of-state rate is $.10 per mile or an alternative, which must be approved by the judge, is an airplane ticket for each way of travel from the place of residence to Denver.

4) Complete personal service. Helpful hints to completing personal service:

  • Service must be completed no later than 48 hours prior to the appearance date identified on the Subpoena;
  • Take both copies to the Sheriff, a private process server, or anyone 18 years or older and not a party to the action;
  • Attach the mileage check to the copy of the Subpoena to be served on the witness;
  • The process server must follow the Service of Process requirements state in Rule 345.
  • Be sure to direct the Sheriff, private process server, or person serving the Subpoena to return the completed copy of the Subpoena/Return of Service to you as soon as possible after service has been completed. Bring the completed Subpoena when you come to the hearing or trial.