Denver County Court

Civil Warrants

In civil cases, a warrant can issue for contempt of court when a judgment debtor (a person against whom a monetary judgment issued) does not answer the interrogatories (questions regarding assets, bank accounts, etc.) that were authorized by the court.  In general, civil warrants have a cash only requirement, and the services of a professional bondsperson cannot be used.

In order to clear a civil warrant, a judgment debtor needs to answer the interrogatories that were authorized by the court and provide those interrogatories to the judgment creditor (the party to whom the money is owed).  The judgment creditor then has the responsibility to file with the court a motion /notice to quash (cancel) the arrest warrant.  Interrogatories are not filed with the court (see Order of the Presiding Judge 5-9-11), and filing the interrogatories with the court will not cause the warrant to be cancelled.

When answering interrogatories on a civil case with an active warrant, it is a best practice to have contact with the judgment creditor or their attorney, to ensure that the filing of the motion/notice to quash the warrant is not delayed.  A judgment debtor may obtain the contact information for the judgment creditor and/or their attorney from the Civil Division staff at 1437 Bannock Street, Room 135 or by calling 720-865-7840.