Denver County Court

Preparing For A Court Hearing

It is important that you are on time for your court appearance and that you have all of your information with you. Please turn off your cell phone and respect all parties in the courtroom. You may be asked to speak to the other party before the court hearing or trial to determine if your claim can be settled to avoid going to hearing or trial.

View the Civil Advisement

Below are some steps to follow while preparing for your court appearance:

  • Before your court date, observe a court proceeding. This is not required, but may help you to feel more comfortable and prepare you for your court appearance.
  • Determine the evidence that you may need. It is best to organize and label all exhibits, if you have more than one. Examples of exhibits are documents such as photographs, charts, and receipts. Make copies of the exhibits for the other side and the Court. If the Court has to make copies for you, copy fees will be assessed.
  • Determine if you will need witnesses. You can ask the witness to appear voluntarily, or you may request the Court to issue a subpoena for the witness.
  • Before you appear in Court, highlight the key issues you would like to present. When others are testifying, take notes on what they say.

The Civil Courtrooms are located in the City and County Building at 1437 Bannock Street.  They are Courtroom 164; Courtroom 159; Courtroom 175; and Courtroom 186.


Mediation may be available or you may be directed to mediate on the day of your Court Trial. In many instances, mediation is mandatory prior to trial. In mediation, a neutral third party will work with the parties to help negotiate a mutually acceptable agreement. You should bring any legal or financial documents and any other information relating to the dispute with you to the mediation.

Possible Outcomes From Mediation

  • You and the other party may reach a stipulation/agreement. Prepare a Stipulation Form to put down in writing your agreement. Both parties should sign the form and provide it to the Court.
  • The party may agree that the money is owed. Prepare a Stipulation Form to identify the agreement and payment arrangements. Both parties should sign the form and provide it to the Court. If immediate payment is made the case can be dismissed.
  • If you and the other party do not reach a stipulation/agreement, then you will have a Court Trial or a Jury Trial. In order to obtain a Jury Trial, a party will need to specify on or before their first appearance that they desire a Jury Trial, as well as pay the appropriate jury fee. PLEASE NOTE: In some cases, a request for a Jury Trial may be denied pursuant to law even though a jury fee has been paid. You should check with an attorney or the trial courtroom to which your case is assigned if you have any questions regarding whether or not your case is eligible for a Jury Trial.

Back to Top