Denver County Court

Obtain an Attorney

You have the right to be represented by an attorney. Traffic misdemeanor proceedings are complicated and the consequences, besides jail, can be severe. For example, a conviction can result in deportation for noncitizens or stop a legal resident alien from becoming a citizen. Certain convictions can prevent a person from holding many types of jobs.

Defense attorneys know the justice system and what options are available to you. Whenever possible, get the help of an experienced defense attorney when you are charged with a serious traffic matter.

You also have the right to represent yourself, but you will be held to the same standard and rules as an attorney.

If you are indigent as defined by the Supreme Court Guidelines, and face the possibility of jail, the Court will appoint a lawyer for you.

The first step in the process is to make a request for an attorney to the Judge in court. You must then complete one of the application processes outlined below. The application process you need depends on the type of violation you are charged with.


1) Fill out the required application    form (Spanish form   ) and print three copies of the form;

2) Bring your summons and complaint, proof of income documentation, and a setting slip from the County Court that shows your next scheduled court date to the Denver Public Defenders Office located at 1560 Broadway, Suite 30, Denver, Colorado 80202.

If you have questions, please contact the Public Defender’s Office at (303) 620-4999.


1) Come to Room 150 in the Lindsey-Flanigan Courthouse between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. any Monday through Thursday;

2) Fill out an application    form  (Spanish form   ) and print three copies of the form;

3) Make sure you bring proof of income documentation with you or your application will not be considered.

If you have any questions, please call (720) 337-0407.

Note: It is critical that you bring acceptable proof of income if you want your application to be considered. You must apply for a public defender or court appointed attorney as soon as possible. Do not wait until the day before your next court hearing, because the Judge may not grant you a continuance.

If you are scheduled to appear for Court in the City and County Building, 1437 Bannock Street; you may obtain an application in the courtroom.

The Municipal Public Defenders Office is located on the 5th floor of the City and County Building at 1437 Bannock Street.

You will need to have documents showing all your income sources.


You must provide financial documentation to establish gross monthly income, which includes income from all household members who contribute to the support of the household.

You will need to have documents showing all your income sources.

Income includes:

Wages, tips, salaries, commissions, payments received as an independent contractor for labor or services (including day or temporary labor), bonuses, dividends, severance pay, pensions, retirement benefits, royalties, interest/investment earnings, trust income, annuities, capital gains, unemployment benefits, Social Security Disability (SSD), Social Security Supplemental Income (SSI), Workman’s Compensation Benefits, alimony,  TANF payments, food stamps, subsidized housing assistance, veteran’s benefits earned from a disability, child support payments, or other public assistance programs. Any liquid assets, such as cash on hand or in accounts, personal property, equity or investments.

If you fail to bring proof of your total household income, the Court may deny your application.

If you are appointed an attorney, you must make all scheduled appointments with the attorney and you must attend all court appearances.

Back to Top