Denver County Court

Terms and Conditions of Probation

The Court has allowed you to serve your sentence on probation instead of jail because you have agreed to comply with certain conditions of probation in addition to other requirements of the Court. The Terms of Probation (given in the courtroom) and Reporting Requirements (given by the probation department) are very important documents because they list all the things the Court expects of you during your time on Probation.


Standard conditions of probation are dictated by Colorado law and apply to all persons serving time under probation. Remember, in addition to these standard conditions, there may be other conditions that are required in your case that were specifically ordered in your case. These conditions are the following:

Standard Conditions of Probation:

  • You must inform your Probation Officer if you change your mailing address or residence.
  • You are not allowed to leave the State of Colorado without the approval from your Probation Officer, and in some cases you may require an actual travel permit prior to traveling. Speak to your Probation Officer to clarify whether your case requires a travel permit. If you wish to travel out of state, you must contact your Probation Officer two weeks prior to traveling in order to gain permission and schedule an appointment for a travel permit. Travel is a privilege while on probation; if you are not in compliance with probation your request to travel may be denied.
  • You must stay out of trouble. Do not engage in any illegal activity and do not associate with people or places where illegal activity is conducted. Any criminal conduct can result in a revocation of probation.
  • You must report as instructed. Failure to report is a serious matter and can result in a violation of probation. Make sure you know when, where or how you are to report and contact your Probation Officer if you have any questions regarding the reporting requirements.
  • You are expected to obtain and maintain lawful employment while on probation.
  • Unless otherwise approved, all of your fines, costs, and fees must be paid in full upon sentencing. You can request to be put on a payment plan. You must meet with a collection investigator located in Room 160 of the Lindsey-Flanigan Courthouse and provide financial information regarding your income and expenses. The collection investigator will decide if you qualify.
  • You may not possess or carry any firearms or weapons without the written consent of the Court. Never bring a weapon to your probation appointment. The Probation Department has a zero tolerance policy about weapons and you will be required to go through security prior to gaining access to the department.
  • Never come to probation under the influence of alcohol or drugs. This will violate your probation. Everyone on probation is prohibited from using illegal drugs and the Court may require that you not consume any alcohol at all during your time on probation. You may not possess or use illegal drugs. In addition, recreational marijuana use is prohibited for all individuals on probation.

Our Probation Officers want to see you successfully complete the conditions of your probation and are here to work with you. But, we are also obligated to notify the Court if you breach your agreement. If you violate your probation, you can be arrested and sentenced to serve the balance of your remaining sentence in jail. Open communication with your Probation Officer is important in making sure that doesn’t happen.

If you are not attending treatment as directed, using drugs or alcohol, or are otherwise non-compliant with conditions of your probation, Probation Officers may impose additional conditions or sanctions in response. If you do not agree or follow these additional conditions or sanctions you will be ordered to report to court where your probation may be revoked and you are sentenced to jail.

If you are having difficulty reaching your Probation Officer by phone or email. You are encouraged to come to the probation department to schedule an appointment to see your Probation Officer.


The following is general information about many of the Court’s common terms (requirements or conditions) of probation. There may also be special conditions of your sentence that are not outlined here. If you have questions, please contact your Probation Officer.

Random Alcohol or Drug Testing

You may be required to submit to monitored random testing in order to determine the presence of alcohol, illegal drugs, or the abuse of prescription medication or any other controlled substance. If you have an alcohol or substance abuse problem, discuss this with your Probation Officer right away. Don’t wait until you have a positive test and are facing a violation of probation. It is important that you seek help right away.

Testing can be completed at any time during your probation. Refusing a test, tampering with a test, or failing to comply with time limits would be considered a violation of probation. Any missed or diluted monitored sobriety tests while on probation may be considered “positive.”

Testing can be done through the use of random breathalyzers, urinalysis, SmartStart, or a transdermal device such as SCRAM or TAD. The Court and/or your Probation Officer will decide on the level of monitoring in which you are required to participate. If your Probation Officer suspects you are using drugs or alcohol, they may order you to immediately report for a test to be given. Your failure to report immediately may be considered a violation of your probation.

M.A.D.D. Victim Impact Panel

The Victim Impact Panel is a one-time, two hour-class that focuses on the impact drunk driving has on victims and the community. Your Probation Officer will provide you with an information sheet. The panel is coordinated through MADD. They have very specific rules concerning participation. The cost is $50 and is payable by money order only (payable to MADD) in person at panel or with a credit card through online registration. Please visit the MADD Website for further information.

Failure to attend the Victim Impact Panel (if required) is a violation of your probation. Note that children and guests are not allowed to attend.

MADD’s Victim Impact Panel (VIP)

MADD’s VIP Referral Forms in both English and Spanish.  Clients must bring their terms and conditions paperwork provided to them by their probation officer.  These referral forms are for information and instructions-only and are not mandatory.

VIP Referral – English
VIP Referral – Spanish

Clients are to bring the following information to the panel:

  • Their court-ordered paperwork, probation paperwork, or MADD’s VIP Referral Form
  •  Case Number
  • $50.00 Money Order  — Payable to MADD (No cash, personal checks or credit cards accepted)
  •  Picture Identification 

Any court-ordered offender attempting to attend a Victim Impact Panel without ALL the above information will not receive verification of attendance and will be unable to attend that panel.  

Community Service/Useful Public Service (UPS)

Community service is an excellent opportunity to give back to the community. You must go to Room 160, in the Lindsey-Flanigan Courthouse, 520 W. Colfax Avenue and speak to a collections investigator to set up community service. There is a $75 fee that must be paid. The collection investigator will give you a list of acceptable, non-profit agencies that you can perform the required number of hours. Unless otherwise approved in advance, you must perform your community service at one of the agencies on the list provided. If you have questions about your community service requirements, you must contact a collection investigator at room 160. You may call them with any questions during business hours at 720-337-0410.

Although your Probation Officer will monitor your progress and compliance with community service, your Probation Officers cannot provide you the list of authorized agencies or waive the $75 fee to begin the community service. You must contact a collections investigator with any questions regarding getting started with community service. Failure to perform your community service is a violation of probation and will result in the imposition of sanctions and/or the revocation of your probation.

No Contact Orders

If the Court issues a Criminal Protection Order or a No Contact Order in your case, you may not contact or attempt to contact the victim listed on the order wherever he/she may be found. This includes, but is not limited to writing, texting, phone calls, or any other form of electronic communication.

The No Contact Order restriction includes “third party communication”. This means that you may not ask someone else to contact the victim for you or relay a message for you.

You should not report to the probation department with your victim or the person who has a No Contact Order against you. Even if the person who has the No Contact Order against you does contact you and wishes to meet, you may not have contact with that person. If you have contact with this person, even if that person invited the contact, you may violate this Order and/or violate your probation.

The Order remains in effect for the entire period of your probation, unless otherwise modified by the Court. If you wish to modify or terminate the No Contact Order, you must make that request to the Court. Only the Judge is authorized to modify or terminate this Order.

Violation of this Order may lead to a new charge or arrest warrant, and could violate your probation. Should you have any questions, concerns, or problems with the Order, contact your Probation Officer immediately and your attorney if you have one.

Domestic Violence/Anger Management Counseling

The Court may order you to complete an evaluation and any recommended treatment through a domestic violence counseling agency or through an anger management program. Because these are different programs, your Probation Officer will give you information concerning the appropriate agency for your case.

You will need to receive services through a court approved agency. Your Probation Officer will advise you of approved agencies and make a formal referral. You will need to provide verification of participation and completion of the program to your Probation Officer. If you are terminated unsuccessfully from a program or fail to attend classes, you will face negative consequences through the Court.

The length of domestic violence treatment is determined by offender risk and degree of offender progress in treatment as determined by the collaborative decision of your treatment provider and your Probation Officer. Once you are assessed by the treatment provider, a treatment plan will be developed in collaboration with your Probation Officer. When you are discharged from treatment, you should immediately notify your Probation Officer. If you are having difficulty attending, you should speak with your Probation Officer.

You will be expected to pay the costs for assessment and treatment to comply with the Court’s order. Also, because it can take several months to complete these programs, you will be required to enroll very early in your probation.

If you have questions about this court requirement, discuss them with your Probation Officer promptly. These agencies are independent providers and your Probation Officer cannot modify their rules and regulations and the Court has no control over their schedules.

You may be required to sign a release of information to allow the agency to report progress to your Probation Officer.

Back to Top